Do you have a heart for children? Do you want to reach out to children at risk and be used by God in this? During the Children at Risk school (CAR) you will get lecture from different people that have a lot of experience in the area of children at risk.
This CAR school has a special focus on refugee children. Next to the lectures you will have a local outreach for example at an asylum seeker centre, to put into practice what you have learned.
After the 3 months lecture phase there will be also a 3 months practical phase. There you will especially work with children and families who had to flee. This can be abroad. The aim is to give you the possibility to stay on location after this period for your potential internship.
The CAR school is 6 months and will start 10 january 2018. The school will only be in English!
If you have more questions, want more info or want to apply for the school, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
“Learn to do right. Seek justice, encourage the oppressed, defend the cause of the fatherless, plead for the case of the widow.” Isaiah 1:17
Today, all over the world, children face risks we cannot imagine. Children are the most vulnerable group in any society. The focus of the Children at Risk School is on those who have been placed at risk due to factors such as war, disease, poverty, exploitation, abandonment, disability, and other forms of injustice. You will receive an overview of the needs of these children at risk.
Specific instruction is provided on issues relating to them such as HIV and AIDS, counselling, evangelism, God’s nature and character as mother and father, and other such topics allowing us to be advocates and see lasting change and true transformation in these children’s lives.
Topics that will be covered in the CAR school are:
1. Gods heart for children. (How does God see children? And understanding more of God’s love, justice, mercy and compassion.)
2. The 20+ different categories of the children at risk. (Like: refugee children, street children, traumatized children, abused children, children with special needs, etc. and strategies to work with them.)
3. Biblical world view, and why it matters in working with children.
4. Value of girls and women around the world, and why it matters.
5. Identity and sexuality for children and teenagers and how to help them.
6. Sexual abuse: How to prevent, recognize and help.
7. Families (healthy families vs dysfunctional families, ministries to families and Kings Kids)
8. Rearing children in a loving and healthy way (And talking about discipline.)
9. Trauma and resilience (Using some practical tools for grief and trauma counseling with children, and how to build up their resilience.)
10. Combatting human trafficking (understanding the problem and learning different ways to take action.)
11. Family based care vs. institutional care (and about promoting adoption and foster care)
12. Community development (how to help transform slums, refugee camps; pitfalls and good practice.)
13. Teaching children (How to plan your lessons understanding the different types of intelligence and gifting in children)
14. Strategies for intervention and transformation. (Arts, creativity, sports, etc.)
15. Child evangelism (storytelling, puppet making etc.)
16. Advocacy and legal issues (child protection in children at risk ministries)
17. Mental and social health for the child (With important subjects as attachment, suicide, bullying, addiction, internet/media use)
18. Basic health care and nutrition for children and teenagers.
19. Project development, governance, communication and fundraising for a Children at Risk ministry.
20. Spiritual and character development and self-care of the caretaker.
Meet the Staff
I'm Joke, I work at the Mercy&Justice office and especially with Mobile Mercy. I did my DTS in 2009 and in 2010 and 2011 I staffed the Mercy Ministry DTS. In 2012 I did the Children at Risk school in Brazil and did my practical year from march 2013 till march 2014 in Brazil as well. I have a heart for children in need.